We the undersigned submit this Petition to the Minister, Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development (MOFAD). The Petition is presented by the Ghana Aquaculture Stakeholders Group and requests that the Ministry takes immediate action to help the Aquaculture Sector recover from an unprecedented crisis. This has been caused by the emergence of diseases that are devastating tilapia farms on Lake Volta and damaging associated industries. The problem is linked to viruses introduced from South East Asia and illegal imports of fish into Ghana.
The petition is requesting
● That Fisheries Enforcement is fully implemented so it covers
o Inland Capture fisheries
o Inland Aquaculture
o the ban on the importation of all tilapia (live fish and food) into Ghana
● That the Fisheries Enforcement Unit is reorganized and adequately resourced to maximize its effectiveness, enabling it to fully carry out its mandate.
● That a programme of fish vaccination is undertaken, at subsidized rates, to enable farmers to rebuild their businesses and recover from the crisis.
● That vaccination teams are deployed to assist farmers and ensure effective management of the vaccination process.
● That the Government monitors activity and enforces appropriate penalties to prevent other diseases being brought into the country.